So my husband and I are leaving today to head up to New Jersey/New York for Thanksgiving and YESTERDAY I realized that we had 4 old bananas… It was the kind of old banana that I wouldn’t ever just pick up and eat but they are great for certain kinds of cooking. So of course… I made banana bread, which took care of 3 of the bananas (and which we packed up in tin foil and are bringing with us for Thanksgiving so that the whole family can enjoy it), and I made a smoothie with the fourth banana!
Banana Bread Recipe
- 2-3 over-ripe bananas, mashed up
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar (I used light brown sugar this time since we were out of dark brown sugar and it turned out fine)
- 2 eggs beaten
- Whatever other ingredients you feel like adding in… blueberries, chocolate chips, walnuts, raisins, etc. Any of those would be good. My husband prefers chocolate chips and walnuts so that’s what I used–about a cup of each!
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl mix the butter (melted) with the brown sugar until creamy, then add the mashed up bananas
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
- If you’re going to add any other ingredients, add them now by just stirring them in
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and cook 60-70 minutes on 350 until a toothpick stuck into the bread comes out clean.
Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
With the 4th over-ripe banana I had, I decided to make a banana-peanut butter smoothie. I had looked up a bunch of recipes for banana peanut butter smoothies but none of them looked quite right, so I decided to make up my own!
- 1 overly-ripe banana
- 1/2 cup of milk–whatever kind you prefer to use–I used 1% but I’m sure it would be fine with skim, 2% or whole milk, for that matter
- 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter–again, whatever kind you prefer. Creamy is probably better than chunky but I just used whatever we had.
- 8-10 ice cubes, depending on how thick or liquid you like your smoothies
Blend them all together and enjoy!
Sadly I don’t have a photo of my smoothie since I drank it for breakfast already but it was delicious. Next time I might try adding a little squirt of honey to make it more sweet but other than that it was quite tasty, and full of protein AND fiber!
I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving. I’d love to hear funny stories about the pat-down searches or body scanners!