Za’Atar Chicken–from Kosher By Design Short on Time
- 8-10 chicken pieces
- 1 cup dried pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 (2.5 oz) jar green pitted Spanish olives, without pimiento, drained
- 1 tablespoon Za’Atar spice (We found this at a Middle Eastern grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
Remove the skin from the chicken if desired.
Fill the bottom of slow cooker with a combination of the dried prunes and apricots in a single layer. Top with the olives.
In a small bowl, mix the za’atar spice, turmeric, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and olive oil. Stir to make a paste. Rub the paste all over each piece of chicken. Place the chicken on top of the olives; the parts may overlap. Sprinkle with the oregano.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours; do not overcook or the white meat will be very dry.